Dog Detects Carbon Monoxide, saves Iowa family

Photo:  WDAY News
Photo: WDAY News

(Ankeny, IA)  --  An Iowa dog is being called a hero after it saved its family from carbon monoxide poisoning.  WHO in Des Moines says a Husky-Coonhound mix named Roxy woke up his owner Brad Harbert on Monday when the carbon monoxide detector started going off.  Harbert rushed his son, father, and Roxy out of the home before calling 911.  The local utility later found a carbon monoxide leak coming from the family's electric and gas fireplace.

Firefighters remind you to make sure you have a CO2 detector in your house outside each bedroom on every floor of your house and to replace them every 10 years.